Brynmawr War Memorial
If any member of the general public requires access to the Brynmawr War Memorial to pay their respects, please contact the Clerks to arrange for the gate to be opened at the time requested. Refer to the contact section to speak to the Clerks.
This Memorial was unveiled in October 1927 by Major Wilfred Russell Bailey to commemorate the local people who had died in the First World War. Major Bailey, later to become 3rd Baron Glenusk and Lord Lieutenant of Breconshire, had been injured twice in the war and received the Distinguished Service Order. The memorial, topped by a statue of a soldier, was sculpted from granite by stonemason R Price. Names of those who died in the Second World War were later added to the memorial.
Among those named on the memorial is Owen Commins, who was serving with the Royal Navy when the Second World War ended in May 1945. He died, aged 20, when his Tank Landing Craft (designed to land tanks on beaches) was sunk by heavy seas. His body was never found but he was officially treated as a casualty of the war, with his name included on the Chatham Naval Memorial.
A service of remembrance is held every November at the Market Hall Cinema
and relayed by loudspeaker to people standing by the nearby war memorial.