|Town Logo. The Brynmawr Town Council Logo as featured here depicts: The Prince of Wales Badge (three feathers – ICH DIEN (I SERVE); Red Dragon Rampant; Flag – 3 White Chevrons; Welsh Leek all perched on the mountain top.|
|Brynmawr War Memorial. This Memorial was unveiled in October 1927 by Major Wilfred Russell Bailey to commemorate the local people who had died in the First World War. Major Bailey, later to become 3rd Baron Glenusk and Lord Lieutenant of Breconshire, had been injured twice in the war and received the Distinguished Service Order. The memorial, topped by a statue of a soldier, was sculpted from granite by stonemason R Price.|
Names of those who died in the Second World War were later added to the memorial.
Among those named on the memorial is Owen Commins, who was serving with the Royal Navy when the Second World War ended in May 1945. He died, aged 20, when his Tank Landing Craft (designed to land tanks on beaches) was sunk by heavy seas. His body was never found but he was officially treated as a casualty of the war, with his name included on the Chatham Naval Memorial.
A service of remembrance is held every November at the Market Hall Cinema and relayed by loudspeaker to people standing by the nearby war memorial.
|The Town Clock. The Clock was made and installed by the English Clock Systems in 1951 to commemorate the Festival of Britain.|
The Market Hall Clock was presented by a Charles Morley Esq. The clock has been completely refurbished and is a focal point on the Market Hall's facade.
Brynmawr Allotment Gardens. Brynmawr Allotments were started when The Duke of Beaufort gave ground for 6 Allotments fronting the then Brynmawr Grammar School in Intermediate Road, dated 17 December 1917. By 1926 due to the depression and the lack of money for seeds and to repair fences, many Allotments were abandoned until The Quakers and Friends of Worthing in 1934 supplied seeds, manure and repaired the fences and boundaries.
Allotments flourished and came into their peak around the 50's and 60's with as many as 5 sites in Brynmawr. They then declined through the early 70's and 80's. With only 1 site left, the site in Intermediate Road, which as we have stated was the first site. But in its heyday in the 60's there were 50 plots. Due to the decline in membership in the early 70's the Allotments down sized from 50 plots to 20 plots and the unused plots were turned over to the now St Mary's Church in Wales School for their football pitch.
The present day Allotment is full and thriving, with even a long waiting list for plots to become available for new members.
The present day Allotments can boast a brand new meeting shed and a purpose built shed for members to stock compost and fertilisers. There is also a wild life area and fish pond.
Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council - www.blaenau-gwent.gov.uk
One Voice Wales - www.onevoicewales.org.uk
Society of Local Council Clerks - www.slcc.co.uk